Bourbon Gent's World Cup 2017
The final is over and the competition has ended, and all we can say is...Wow! We honestly were not sure what to expect when we had the idea to launch a World Cup of bourbon but the response and the interest it generated amazed us, so a big 'thank you' to everyone who got involved and interacted with us over the course of its duration.
In the end the competition was tough, with some of the big boys falling early on, and even the hot favourites (i.e. Pappy) being soundly beaten in the quarters. Eventually though we arrived at a worthy winner in 'Four Roses Single Barrel'. The trophy is on its way to them as we type this. Congratulations! Let's see if they can retain the title this time next year.
Below is the post we originally put up for the World Cup if you want to read about it and view the chart covering all the rounds and matches...
In the Beginning...
Welcome to the first ever Bourbon Gent's World Cup. That's right, a World Cup that excludes every other country apart from the USA. This is your chance to get right behind your favourite bourbon and vote for it to become the inaugural winner of this hopefully annual competition.
The rules are very simple and only you, the voting public, can decide who will win. The rules are as follows:
- Only bourbons have been allowed entry (No rye or other American whiskey)
- Every bourbon known to the Gents was originally entered but only 32 have been drawn out and will compete in the head to head knockout stages
- The knockout pattern and stages have been predetermined and are shown in the World Cup chart above
- There is no seeding
- It is a straight head to head vote, one bourbon against another
- If there is a tie, the Bourbon Gents will have the casting vote
- Voting can only be made via Twitter
- Voting will be opening from 18:00 UK time on the days published and will last for 24 hours (apart from the final which be 48 hours)
We made the draw live on podcast number 10 so if you want to listen to it and retrospectively experience the excitement of the Gents reading names from bits of paper, then please click the link here and skip to about 52 minutes in.
The dates for your diaries and when the matches will commence are as follows:
- Saturday 4th March - First round part 1
- Sunday 5th March - First round part 2
- Wednesday 8th March - Second round part 1
- Thursday 9th March - Second round part 2
- Saturday 11th March - First two quarter finals
- Sunday 12th March - Second two quarter finals
- Wednesday 15th March - First semi final
- Thursday 16th March - Second semi final
- Friday 17th March - Final
Don't forget voting will start at 18:00 UK time on the above dates and votes can only be made on Twitter. The Bourbon Gent's World Cup wall chart graphic (above) will be updated after each vote has ended.
Happy voting bourbon lovers and may the best bourbon win!